Ron McMullen is a thirty-year veteran of the Tampa Police Department. Over his distinguished career, he served in multiple roles in upper leadership, culminating with the rank of Major and Commander of the department’s Special Operations Division. As a Training Officer, Detective in the Narcotics Bureau, Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain and, ultimately, Major, Ron was a leader in the field. As a SWAT Team member, he served as the team’s “Breacher”, always the first through the door when dangerous situations arose. Highly respected by his subordinates and peers alike, a reputation for being plain spoken and transparent guided his ascent through the department. Currently, Ron is the President of the Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 27, where he has been a Board Member for over 15 years.
Beginning his college career at Brown University, Ron holds a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice degree from St. Leo University and a Master of Science in Criminology degree from Florida State University. He has combined traditional education with extensive in-the-field training to secure a comprehensive view of criminal justice and allow him to be knowledgeable in policy, strategy and tactics. Some of his criminal justice specific education includes:
- Executive Strategic Management
- Florida Crime Information Center and National Crime Information Center Limited Access Certification
- The Crime Free Multi-housing Program
- Applied Evidence-based Policing Practices: Homicide and Violent Crime Reduction
- Criminal Justice Information Services Limited Access Certification
- Fair and Impartial Policing
- Leadership in Police Organizations
- Law Enforcement Officers Flying Armed Seminar
- Professionalism and Leadership in Law Enforcement
- Spanish for Criminal Justice Professionals
- Ethics in Government
Ron grew up in East Hillsborough County, he attended and graduated from Brandon High School. The son of an Air Force Veteran, he learned the lessons of hard work and success through education. Ron resides in Fishhawk Ranch. He has an eleven year old son, Roman.